Thursday, June 16, 2011

Training Plan


Got in a couple of runs yesterday and today!  Things went really well yesterday.  After a day of rest, my legs felt great and I was able to push through the run.  Today I as a little less well-off; back to back running days are still tough for me. I still made it through 3 miles.

I am currently training for the long-term goal of the St. Louis Rock and Roll ½ marathon in October, 2011.  They released the course map yesterday.  I know a little about St. Louis, but I don’t know it well enough to be able to ascertain how challenging this course will be.  I’m looking forward to it!

My training plan consists of base runs of five miles twice a week, a shorter run of three miles, and then my long run that will consists mostly of run/walk intervals.  I’m gradually building my miles up on my long runs to actually exceed the ½ marathon distance; the plan is 15 miles total (we’ll see if I can keep up with the pace).  I’m only adding ½ a mile per week, so it seems reasonable to me. 

Along the way, I have scheduled some races that are increasingly longer, starting with a 10K in a couple of weeks, another 10K in August, and a 15K in September.  This, I believe, will help keep me motivated toward the half marathon. 

That’s the plan anyway!  We’ll see how it goes. 

Enjoy your progress!  Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment