Monday, June 20, 2011

Salvaging a Run


Another day in the humid Midwestern air.  I started the run this morning feeling quite good, and after a mile I was thinking today would be a good run.  By mile two things started to unravel, but I again think it was more mental than anything.  Grrrr…need to control my thoughts a bit better.  There are some other excuses available, such as the humidity, but I really think I might have powered through it a bit better than I did.

After about 2/3rds of the way through, I did find some extra energy and was able to “salvage” the run a bit better than I thought I would.  I finished with a decent pace and overall I don’t feel too bad about the run.  LESSON LEARNED: You can salvage a run that doesn’t start all that well…just keep pushing.

Along the way, I was rushed by a small cocker spaniel looking dog.  Fortunately, when it got close it peeled off, but it was certainly chasing me.  I never feared for my life, but I did fear for my ankle.  There always seems to be a brush with wildlife (or domesticated life) along my path. 

This week is a big one for me.  I have my first (EVER!) 10K this Saturday.  I’m excited, but also a little uncertain about how to run it.  I don’t think I’ll be able to run the entire 6.2, so I’m trying to figure out when I should walk.  I’m thinking I’ll start by running to each aid station and going from there.  The aid stations are supposed to have musical entertainment, so why not walk during those breaks anyway? 

More about it later.  Enjoy your progress!

Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment