Sunday, June 5, 2011

Time to Blog

Since starting to run in February of 2011, I've learned a few things about runners.  One thing I've learned is that they like to share their stories; training, injuries, experiences, race reports.  You name it, they like to share it.  After running a bit myself, I think I understand why.

When you're out on the road putting in some miles, what else is there to do but think?  I start to think about this and that, but often I start to think about running.  And then I start to think about how I wish I could share my experiences with someone else.  Maybe I could help them avoid the mistakes I've made.  Maybe they could read what I've written and give me some good advice.

I enjoy social media, such as Daily Mile, podcasts, or some Tweets of runners I've found through books, magazines, those podcasts, and the like.   I've learned a ton through those outlets, and I thank those who bring them to life!

So a little about myself to kick things off.  My name is Travis, and I started running in February because, well, I've always wanted to.  I used to love to run as a kid, but as an adult settled into that comfortable, sedentary life many are familiar with.

I hit 40 in May, and I decided in the preceding January (2011) to finally try to make my New Year's Resolution work.  I know you've probably heard that they don't work.  Well, they can!  I started doing the Four Hour Body diet and I've lost 55 lbs in five months.  I dieted a month and a half or so before I started running, building up through the Couch to 5k program.  I've now completed my first 5k and have a 10k scheduled for a few weeks from yesterday.  I also have a 15k and a half marathon on my schedule.

I'm a slow runner; I doubt I'll ever be that quick.  I'm just going to see how things go from here.  My goals are to finish those races I have planned.  No time goals are attached. 

I invite you to follow me on my journey.  I will share my experiences from the past few months and the future as I progress, and I welcome any feedback you may have.

Enjoy your progress!  Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment