Tuesday, July 12, 2011

No Pain, Slow Gain


Had a nice morning run of 5 miles today.  I wasn’t sure how it would go as I didn’t get a lot of sleep the night before.  I hit my goal and I’m ready for my Thursday long run of 9+ miles. 

This weekend is the Kilismycasa 5.8k in Omaha.  I’m running it with my 17 year old son, who is toward the end of the Couch to 5k program.  I’m glad to see him running and I hope he comes to enjoy it.  I will discuss how he wants me to run it (with him or not) before we head up to it.  We’re going to Omaha to go to the zoo and see the Royals’ AAA farm team play some baseball.  Just a weekend getaway with a race thrown in.  I’m looking forward to it.

I was thinking today about how well things have been going physically for me.  Early on when I ran, I would usually have some sort of pain to deal with in my legs or feet.  Knock on wood, but I haven’t had any problems there as of late.  I may have some stiffness from time to time, but nothing more than that.  And I have a bad left ankle from a high ankle sprain a couple of years ago that reminds me that it is weak, but it has held up much better than I thought it would.  I am either used to the pain and it doesn’t nag me or just better developed physically to run, or both. 

There is one exception.  My lower back usually aches after a run of 5 miles or more.  I’m trying to build up my core to see if that helps it out.  I think my posture at work is pretty bad and that might contribute to the issue.  It isn’t anything that is going to sideline me, but it is just a bother.  

Maybe I'm doing something right.  I am staying well below the 10% rule, increasing my weekly mileage by only a half mile to a mile (about 5% or less).  The gradual build up to the half marathon distance seems to be working well for me.  

Enjoy your progress! 

Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment