Friday, July 8, 2011

Highs and Lows Week


It was somewhat of an up and down week this week.  Unfortunately, my wife lost her grandmother and the family traveled to Iowa to attend the funeral.  She had suffered from Alzheimer’s for several years.  It was a sad event, but one that reminded me of how precious life can be. It is always time to live life to its fullest!

I stuck with my training throughout, and I’m pretty proud of myself.  While in Iowa, I was able to run for five miles one evening through beautiful neighborhoods around the hotel.  It was nice to be able to run in a different area and see some new sights, and I felt well.

I decided to move my “long run” day to Friday for a couple of reasons.  First, it allows me to enjoy the weekend a bit more, which will now include only a three mile run.  Second, I can gain some sleep back on the weekends, which is always nice, without having to worry about running when it is hot outside.  It also fits well with my schedule for the next couple of weeks.

This meant an early morning for me, though, rising at 5 am after not being able to sleep until about 12:30.  It was noticeably cooler this morning, and actually a bit (but not completely) dark.  It felt great!  I was still fresh after about 4 miles, so I had it in my mind that this was going to be a good run.  I ran through the park and there was a beautiful mist across the lake as the sun rose.  I pushed through and took a meandering path to build up some distance and complete the longest run of my life thus far: 9 miles.  I’m at the point now where my long runs will probably each become my longest distance to date, which can be pretty exciting and motivating.  It also feels good to be “just” 4 miles shy of the half marathon distance; my goal for this year. 

I’m ready for the weekend, and a bit of catch up sleep! 

Enjoy your progress!

Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment