Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Progressing Slowly

Progressing Slowly

2012 is coming into focus, and training is moving along nicely (finally).  Progress has been slow, but shouldn’t I expect that?  It should be important to keep my blog’s namesake accurate.

My first week of training was wrecked with a bout of the flu.  I blew off a flu shot again this year; perhaps that wasn’t a good idea.  I suppose I’d rather run into this before training was in full gear instead of hitting it toward the end. 

What has been surprising to me is that getting back into a training program has felt like starting all over.  I guess without some structure and with some extra weight, you can lose some fitness pretty quickly.  I’ve had to incorporate run/walks again to build up, but I believe that I’m gaining progress quicker than I did before.  My last few runs in particular have been pretty decent; I feel the improvement coming along well. 

What I’ve also learned is the importance of cross training.  Doing something on my non-running days is important to contribute to greater success during my training runs, and subsequently my races.  After looking at a variety of things, I’ve settled on doing a stationary bike at the gym for 30 minutes, and then doing circuit weights with little to no rest between sets for about 20 – 30 minutes.  The goal is not only to build some strength, but also get the heart going to improve cardio fitness. 

Pretty obvious and simple lessons, but sometimes you just have to prove them to yourself. 

I’ve been pretty luck as winter around here has been extremely mild.  I should knock on some wood.  I’ve found that running from 20 degrees and up isn’t that difficult once you get used to it, as long as you layer well and bundle up.  I think your breathing gets a bit arrested at times, so you have to consciously think about breathing a bit more.  Overall, it isn’t too bad.  I’ve tried to run outside at least a couple times per week in addition to some treadmill work.

Otherwise, I’m on track to complete my first of three half marathons in the spring.  Still a little concerned that I’ve bitten off more than I can chew.  We’ll see!  I’ll be registering for the Chicago marathon next week.  That is what I’m really excited about. What a challenge! 

Enjoy your progress,

Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment